Saturday, November 7, 2015

Why is being obedient so darn hard?


Psalm 128:1
Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in obedience to Him.

So there's that word....obedience. Ew.  I'm not good at it...at all, but we are called to be obedient. CALLED, by our Lord, by our Father. I fight it every.single.time. I've said before that I had been fighting the calling to publish a blog. And when I say fight, I mean gloves on, straps on my wrist...lets go 12 rounds kind of fighting. Who do I think I am to fight with a calling? Cleary I've given in because well, here we are, but I fought it, I was not obedient in this area of my life for quite some time. The more I read this verse today the more I think of what damage that can do, lack of obedience. Let's talk this out, shall we? When I'm not obedient....My relationship with God suffers, the Devil resides in my mind on a daily basis, he takes over my every thought, leaves me with guilt and the worthless feeling we all know too well. oh, oh and there's the whole other people may need to hear your story thing. So not only am I disappointing God with my lack of obedience but it could be affecting others. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that if God is trying to reach someone, He will get them with or without my obedience to a silly blog but it would be so much easier if we just submitted to what He asks us to do. 

Verse 2 reads:
You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.

Oh that's just great, we also miss out on blessings. Can I just say that I am all about some blessings. I love the phrase "my cup runeth over". Mainly because I anticipate said cup being a coffee mug. I love a good feeing mug, that's a blessing in itself to me. Okay okay..I'm back from coffee fantasy land. So we disappoint God and then we miss out on His blessings, that's where I was. Also, since we are being disobedient, we are probably also allowing the Devil to control our thoughts so now we are telling ourselves we aren't worthy and beating ourselves down constantly...because that's helpful. It is so crazy how a small act of obedience can be such a blessing and how a small act of disobedience can escalate so quickly.

Yes, it would be easier to be obedient to every single thing He asks us to do, but we don't, we're human, it's just not going to happen every time. And sometimes it can be hard for us to know exactly what He is asking us to do. With this whole blog/writing thing, I had two women pushing me...almost daily. It really started when I was kept awake a lot with aching hands. It was the craziest feeing. They ached until I started writing. He kept me awake until i put my thoughts on paper. I've been writing for a while now but the ability to start the blog has been hard for me. Putting yourself out there and showing real raw emotion is scary but it was exactly what He was asking me to do. These two ladies prayed with me, interceded for me and helped me see when God was truly speaking to me. That's how God pulled me into obedience...with two praying sisters reminding me that He would be with me every step of the way. 
His love for us is beyond our ability to understand. We know this and yet it is so darn hard to be still and obedient to Him. To all my sisters out there who have fear holding them back from being obedient, I pray for you right now. Its so stinking hard. I struggle with it every single time I get out of bed, walk out of the house, every time I pick up a journal to write or my bible to read. 
Where can we start? How can we get into the practice of practicing obedience? Let's start with something relatively easy. Let's begin with being obedient by being true brothers and sisters in Christ to one another. Let's start by being obedient and loving our brothers and sisters the way we are called to. What would it look like if we all decided to be obedient to God in this way? Let's build each other up just as my two sisters built me up. We never know who is struggling to submit to His will. Let's be encouraging, let's hold each other at our lowest and let's help each other be obedient to whatever He has called us to do.
#loveaprayingsister
#hugahurtingheart 
#practiceobedience 

No comments:

Post a Comment